Control System Programmer Pittsburgh, PA Posted: 1/7/2022
Permanent or Contract
Technical Solutions Inc. is currently seeking a Control System Programmer to join our client's growing engineering firm in the Pittsburgh region. The control system programmer position requires the ability to perform at a senior level on large to small automation projects. The successful candidate will possess the ability complete complex programming efforts, keeping track of project details and ensuring successful project completion and delivery of a robust system to a satisfied customer.
- Extensive experience with Industrial Automation and Control Systems, i.e., PLC, DCS, HMI, RTU, OIT, SCADA, across multiple platforms.
- Proven decision making and scope management.
- Required to lead on projects for the automation scope and responsible to handle interactions with other engineering departments (Multi Discipline, Electrical Design, Instrumentation Design and Industrial Information Technology) on the project to ensure programming and automation design are seamlessly integrated.
- Expected to lead projects and at times be a mentor to other automation resources.
- Functions include providing process control engineering, included but not limited to: specification, engineering, configuration and startup for projects implementing automation control systems for industrial clients.
- Work efficiently with clients including OEM"s, end users, and EPC firms across a range of industries including General Industry, Food & Beverage, Pulp & Paper, Steel & Metals, OEM, Municipal & Institutional, High Purity, EPC, Chemical Processing, Oil & Gas, Power Generation.
- Ability to read, interpret and advise on control aspects of P&IDs and electrical drawings.
- Strong analytical skills, big picture thinking balanced with detail-oriented skills.
- Proven experience performing IO checks, startup and commissioning activities at client sites.
- Taking the lead on the startup and commissioning activities and handling customer updates, requests and managing completion expectations. Startup and commissioning activities typically require overtime.
- Proven field experience troubleshooting PLC, HMI, DCS programming.
- Proven experience programming online with processors. Uploading / downloading to / from running process controls systems.
- Proven experience with customer focused interactions on the plant floor and in customer meetings, taking the lead and responsibility for the automation portion of the scope.
- Proven experience working to a project budget and scope. Identifying scope creep to project management. Assuming responsibility to complete tasks within the project budget and on time within the project schedule. Responsible for managing the automation portion of projects and adhering to discipline scope, schedule and budget.
- Potential for directing junior and mid-level automation engineers, at the technical level by developing tasks required to complete a project. Teaching programming techniques and teaching by example, customer interactions and programming implementation.
- Mentoring junior resources in programming and in automation engineering.
- Attending site visits and meetings for new project work and for potential work to be estimated.
- Preparing estimates and writing proposals for potential work.
- Technical writing skills are required to assist in completing project documentation and project reports.
- Ability to follow and perform work in accordance with the HS&E company policies and procedures.
- This position has a travel expectation that could range from 20% up to 75% depending on project activities such as site startups and commissioning, site inspections, consulting engagements etc.
- BS Degree in Electrical Engineering or related experience.
- Five (5) - seven (7) years overall experience and have the ability to lead heavy industrial automation projects related to steel, chemical and aluminum related industries.
- Prior field/start up project experience
- PLC Programming background (Rockwell, Allen Bradley or Siemens products), DCS systems (Delta V or ABB), and HMI's (Wonderware or Intellution) is also desired.
- Prior experience with leading projects, reviewing automation drawings, and mentoring junior engineers is desired.
- Any MES (manufacturing Execution Systems) experience is a plus: Aveva OM; Wonderware MES, OE; Simatic IT/OpCenter; Sepasoft Track and Trace or any others
Technical Solutions Inc. provides a wide range of staffing services throughout Western Pennsylvania, Ohio and West Virginia. Simplify the job search process by letting us do all the work! With 30 years of expertise, we have the resources, techniques and insights to guide your job search. Our staff will work with you one-on-one to understand your needs and discuss your options. We can even send your resume to multiple job openings that you are a fit for, giving you opportunities to choose from. We reach out to hiring managers for feedback, coordinate and schedule interviews, and advocate on your behalf so that you get the best offer possible. At TSI, we genuinely care about our employees and want to see you succeed. No candidate is ever promised something we do not deliver. The best part is that there are no fees or cost for any of our services. For more information on our company and to view all of our exciting job opportunities, please visit www.tsiwork.com or give us a call at 724-733-2100.