Substation/Physical Engineer III Pittsburgh, PA Posted: 3/1/2022
Permanent Full Time
Technical Solutions Inc. is currently seeking a Substation Engineer for our client, a well-known national engineering firm in Pittsburgh, PA.
This position will provide substation physical engineering, technical support, and supervision to a Transmission Substation engineering and design team for the purpose of delivering safe, cost-effective, and quality engineering and design services. It will also provide technical competency and direction on complex engineering and technical problems for projects including a wide range of utility substation projects, battery energy storage systems and solar collector substations. This role includes both direct billable client work (project work) and project management support for projects. The incumbent is expected to lead discipline work for projects, perform responsible charge engineering duties, and manage project schedules and budgets. The incumbent will also support proposal development, project cost estimating as well as supporting business development efforts.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Engineering/technical expertise and guidance in the identification, analysis, and resolution of problems.
- Effective planning, organizing, estimating, scheduling, and monitoring of work activities.
- Thorough, timely, and accurate technical reports, correspondence, documentation, calculations, and sketches.
- Continuous improvement of job-related engineering, technical and professional knowledge, skills, and performance.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Should be able to understand and create substation physical arrangement drawing packages for construction.
- Support the company's goals and represent the company positively and professionally.
- Interact with customer's internal engineers and technical personnel on a day-to-day basis.
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with customers.
- Monitor deliverables, schedules, and present solutions to the client.
- Perform other duties as assigned by management.
- Required a Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or University in Engineering (preferably Electrical Engineering).
- Required Engineering Degree awarded from a College of University that is accredited by ABET.
- Five (5) - seven (7) years' experience as an Engineer with the electrical industry in the field of power delivery.
- Professional Engineering (PE) license or the ability to be licensed within a year
- Registered Professional Engineer with NCEES record.
- Understanding of substation design to include equipment arrangements, lightning protection, grounding, lighting, equipment specifics, and substation construction as it applies to utility substation and transmission line equipment facilities.
- Understanding of basic needs of Protection and Control and Civil/Structural discipline as they apply to utility substation and transmission lines.
- Create substation physical design project scopes, estimates, budgets, and schedules for substation projects.
- Ability to read and interpret all parts of a physical design for utility stations through 500kV - including substation arrangements, sections, and elevations, foundation and grading plans, lighting plans and details, fence plans and details, grounding plans and details, rigid bus designs, strain bus designs, below grade designs to include duct banks and cable trenches, single phase transformer banks, bus and equipment support structures, as well as a fundamental understating of circuit arrangements into and out of a substation.
- Thoroughly understand the installation requirements of high voltage transformers, group operated disconnect switches, breakers, PTs, CVTs, line turners, surge arresters, and other equipment within the substation.
- Ability to understand and create grounding designs is strongly desired.
- Perform bus calculations, lightning protection calculations, and use software for ground grid designs.
- Ability to interpret written specifications and implement them on engineering drawings.
- Ability to lead a team of engineers and designers in a lead engineer capacity.
- Oversee the work of junior staff and mentor designers/drafters.
- Experience checking designs for accuracy, appearance, and adherence to customer standards.
- Collaborate, communicate, and liaise effectively with other design disciplines, colleagues, construction contractors, consultants, materials suppliers, and clients.
- Visit sites, advise on physical engineering issues, and modify design to solve issues during construction.
- Provide general project management capabilities to coordinate staff, assign tasks, and accomplish projects in an efficient manner.
- Manage budgets and project schedules.
- Think both creatively and logically to resolve design and development problems.
- Experience working in a field or construction environment implementing or verifying engineering drawings.
- Experience in the utility industry.
Technical Solutions Inc. provides a wide range of staffing services throughout Western Pennsylvania, Ohio and West Virginia. Simplify the job search process by letting us do all the work! With 30 years of expertise, we have the resources, techniques and insights to guide your job search. Our staff will work with you one-on-one to understand your needs and discuss your options. We can even send your resume to multiple job openings that you are a fit for, giving you opportunities to choose from. We reach out to hiring managers for feedback, coordinate and schedule interviews, and advocate on your behalf so that you get the best offer possible. At TSI, we genuinely care about our employees and want to see you succeed. No candidate is ever promised something we do not deliver. The best part is that there are no fees or cost for any of our services. For more information on our company and to view all of our exciting job opportunities, please visit www.tsiwork.com or give us a call at 724-733-2100.