Mechanical Engineer- Service Sales Pittsburgh, PA Posted: 3/16/2022
Permanent Full Time
Technical Solutions Inc. is currently seeking a Mechanical Engineer- Service Sales on behalf of our client, a manufacturer with offices in the Pittsburgh area. This position develops and maintains an expert understanding of mill operations and customer requirements, and advanced sales skills to allow the individual to make thorough and informed recommendations to the customer. Also provides guidance to the management team on growth opportunities in their assigned region.
This role also requires the preparation of quotes, visiting selling, and technically interacting with mill customers. Role is supported by existing back-office functions for additional technical support and order processing.
Goals and Responsibilities:
- Trouble shoot- identify mill issues and develop a correction plan.
- Develop and maintain a customer base and interact with all personnel.
- Interact with all internal engineers, domestic and foreign.
- Work directly with engineers to develop and service the client's installed base.
- Travel internationally on an as needed basis and work with client engineers directly to develop and implement a services package.
- Make periodic calls to customer plants to check on current and future needs.
- Update your customer with photos and reports of work done and when issues arise that may cause delay of delivery or when work is ready to ship.
- Perform engineering calculations to select proper materials or to evaluate stresses as needed. Make proper selections of commercially available parts/equipment. Also select proper lubricants and hydraulic fluids as needed.
- Make drawings as needed or request engineering assistance as needed. Check drawings for materials, fits, tolerances, finishes etc.
- Understand/perform thick wall pressure vessel calculations as needed.
- Perform PV studies as needed.
- Ensure timely and effective responses to customer base.
- Maintain a sales log showing sales made, delivered sales and profit margin.
- Perform quotation process for all pending sales. Sales and vendor Pos are entered by others. Also address overruns to PO's to be sure client makes their make our margins.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to travel 50-75% of the time visiting customers and other of our client's facilities.
- Demonstrated ability to read engineering drawings and technical specifications.
- Working knowledge or mill roll selection is preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of motor design; proficiency in Wk^2 calculations so proper torques can be selected as needed
- Goal orientation: ability to approach sales and service tasks with intensity and aggressively pursues short term goals.
- Demonstrated ability to build strong interpersonal relationships alongside technical sales support.
- Strong data and information organizing skills. Above average Microsoft Office skills and ability to grasp company IT system quickly; proficiently use IT tools to support sales efforts and outside sales representatives.
- Public presentation skills in business and industrial settings.
- Experience working with traditional corporate structured divisions such as engineering, maintenance, purchasing, and quality departments and the 'complex' sale of industrial engineered products (i.e., involvement of multiple customer departments)
- Experience working in a manufacturing environment preferably in outside sales, inside sales or customer service role.
- Strong organizational, professional, and project management skills
- Five (5) years minimum in outside sales in an industrial environment preferred
- BS Degree in Industrial or Mechanical Engineering preferred, or relevant experience
- Prior metals industry experience a plus
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office
- Proficiency in SAP preferred
Technical Solutions Inc. provides a wide range of staffing services throughout Western Pennsylvania, Ohio and West Virginia. Simplify the job search process by letting us do all the work! With 30 years of expertise, we have the resources, techniques and insights to guide your job search. Our staff will work with you one-on-one to understand your needs and discuss your options. We can even send your resume to multiple job openings that you are a fit for, giving you opportunities to choose from. We reach out to hiring managers for feedback, coordinate and schedule interviews, and advocate on your behalf so that you get the best offer possible. At TSI, we genuinely care about our employees and want to see you succeed. No candidate is ever promised something we do not deliver. The best part is that there are no fees or cost for any of our services. For more information on our company and to view all of our exciting job opportunities, please visit www.tsiwork.com or give us a call at 724-733-2100.