Controls Engineer Pittsburgh, PA Posted: 10/25/2022
Permanent Full Time
Technical Solutions Inc. is currently seeking a Controls Engineer for our client, a local manufacturing company, for their Pittsburgh area facility. The Controls Engineer is responsible for designing, developing, installing, and/or troubleshooting industrial software programs to control OEM equipment manufactured by employer. Software is used to monitor and control engineered systems, machinery and processes for production equipment used for polyurethane components. A Controls Engineer ensures that these systems and processes operate effectively, efficiently and safely for the end user.
- Design, Build, and Implement PLC & HMI programs.
- Conduct shop and/or field tests to verify the control system meets project specifications
- Create project documentation
- Successfully complete project schedules, objectives, and requirements by reviewing project specifications, customer requirements, and project completion milestones
- Coordinate and schedule project tasks with Mechanical Engineer, Project Managers, and Electrical Engineers
- Contribute to project success by completing assigned tasks on time and completely
- Review and verify that projects are within budget and completed on schedule
- Conduct reviews at project completion to identify procedures and methods that can be improved
- Travel required. Periodic travel for training, out of state, is required.
- Designing, specifying and developing new control systems or integrating with other suppliers' controls as required
- Understanding and ensuring compliance with the plant health and safety regulations.
- Accepting responsibility and a level of accountability that is proportionate to the seniority of the position.
- Discusses project with project and sales managers to review desired/required functions of machines and equipment and the user interface requirements
- Confers with project and manufacturing managers to resolve problems regarding building of controls systems.
- Reviews schematics with customer's representatives to answer questions during installation.
- Performs other tasks and duties as necessary.
- This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to a variety of extreme conditions. The noise level in the work environment can be loud.
Required Education and Experience:
- A Controls Engineer must have a thorough understanding of electrical, hydraulic, pneumatic controls and programmable controllers for Polyurethane specialty machinery and equipment. Also required is experience in writing PLC & HMI programs.
- Minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering with three to five years controls engineering experience.
- Programming and troubleshooting experience with Allen-Bradley PLCs using Studio 5000 and RSLogix 5000, PanelView operator interfaces using FactoryTalk View Studio ME and Powerflex Drives.
- Strong hands-on mechanical and electrical aptitude to understand and troubleshoot the machinery with which our control systems interface.
- The ability to work independently as well as on a project team.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are required due to the requirement to interface with customers as a representative of a world-leading firm involved with industrial technology.
Additional Desired Experience:
- Programming and troubleshooting experience with of Siemens products - PLCs and Comfort Panel operator interfaces using TIA Portal and Variable Frequency Drives (At least three years' experience).
- Programming and troubleshooting experience with Mitsubishi PLCs, operator interfaces and Variable Frequency Drives.
- Barcoding and RFID experience.
- Robot programming experience using Fanuc Robots.
Technical Solutions Inc. provides a wide range of staffing services throughout Western Pennsylvania, Ohio and West Virginia. Simplify the job search process by letting us do all the work! With 30 years of expertise, we have the resources, techniques and insights to guide your job search. Our staff will work with you one-on-one to understand your needs and discuss your options. We can even send your resume to multiple job openings that you are a fit for, giving you opportunities to choose from. We reach out to hiring managers for feedback, coordinate and schedule interviews, and advocate on your behalf so that you get the best offer possible. At TSI, we genuinely care about our employees and want to see you succeed. No candidate is ever promised something we do not deliver. The best part is that there are no fees or cost for any of our services. For more information on our company and to view all of our exciting job opportunities, please visit www.tsiwork.com or give us a call at 724-733-2100.