DESIGNERS / DRAFTERS
Electrical Designer Pittsburgh, PA Posted: 8/24/2023
DESIGNERS / DRAFTERS
Permanent Full Time
Technical Solutions Inc. is currently seeking an Electrical Designer for our client, a local manufacturing company, for their Pittsburgh area facility. This position will design electrical and control systems for automated manufacturing systems.
- Interface with the project managers and salesmen to determine the specifications and requirements for new projects.
- Analyze the specifications/performance requirements and determine the design required to meet the machine's control needs.
- Accountable for the production of design drawings, bills of materials, control cabinet layout and the field interconnection wiring.
- Interface with the control engineers (control system programmers) to ensure that the electrical controls design will meet the programming requirements. This will require that the controls design provide encoders, position switches, photo eyes, ID tagging, and communications networks necessary for the overall programming control of the system.
- Confirm the designs conform to the applicable electrical codes in the location where the machine or system will be installed. This requires knowledge and understanding of UL requirements, NFPA regulations and directives, NEC codes, and Canadian electrical codes among others.
- Required to keep aware of the latest advances in Programmable Logic Controls (PLCs) and touch screen operator control panels. The machines the organization builds are built to customer specifications so the design engineer may be required to design the electrical controls using customer specified control components.
- Thorough understanding of electrical codes to design controls for customer specified equipment.
- May be required to modify the controls on existing customer equipment. This will require a high level of understanding to add the new controls onto the existing machine without disrupting the function of the equipment and still maintain the necessary safe code requirements.
- Some travel to the customer's site to collect design information about the customer's facilities and existing equipment may be required.
- Required to design a control system which will conform to the appropriate hazardous classification of the location where flammable gases may exist.
- Working knowledge and understanding of OSHA, state, and local safety requirements in order to have the electrical system meet the special requirements of operator and machine safety.
- Comprehensive knowledge of 2D Computer Aided Design (AutoCAD and AutoCAD Electrical)
- Investigate the electrical codes in those locations in order to meet those national electrical code requirements in Mexico and Canada
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline from a four-year College or University, or five (5) years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Advanced working knowledge of electrical current flows, electrical power and automated controls systems is required.
- Fluent in 2D Computer Assisted Design (AutoCAD) and Microsoft Office software.
- High level of electrical, analytical, and mathematics knowledge.
Technical Solutions Inc. provides a wide range of staffing services throughout Western Pennsylvania, Ohio and West Virginia. Simplify the job search process by letting us do all the work! With 30 years of expertise, we have the resources, techniques and insights to guide your job search. Our staff will work with you one-on-one to understand your needs and discuss your options. We can even send your resume to multiple job openings that you are a fit for, giving you opportunities to choose from. We reach out to hiring managers for feedback, coordinate and schedule interviews, and advocate on your behalf so that you get the best offer possible. At TSI, we genuinely care about our employees and want to see you succeed. No candidate is ever promised something we do not deliver. The best part is that there are no fees or cost for any of our services. For more information on our company and to view all of our exciting job opportunities, please visit www.tsiwork.com or give us a call at 724-733-2100.